The goal of the county-wide initiative is to increase graduation rates in Stanislaus County
- January 26 - Mentor Summit
- May - Perfect Attendance Drive - Car Giveaway list of students eligible for the car.
There are five focus areas:
- Sharing Best Practices
- Mentoring programs
- Road Trip Summer Program
- Grade Level Reading - Stanislaus READS!
- Parent Awareness/Engagement Campaign
The Graduation Initiative is important because:
- Students' opportunities increase with a diploma in hand and the competition for jobs and markets is global
- The health of a community is enhance by better educated citizens
- Communities attract more businesses with an educated work force
- There is great public concern about the current graduation rate
The graduation rate in Stanislaus County for 2013-14 is 82.1%* while the State of California is 81.0%* The dropout rate is 11.5%* in Stanislaus County compared to California's 11.5%*
*Cohort rate according to the California Department of Education
We know that high school dropouts are more likely to:
- Be unemployed
- Receive welfare
- Contribute to high health costs and have less healthy children
- perpetrate crimes and end up in jail
The median earnings per year for a high school dropout is $20,241 compared to a person with a high school diploma who earns $30,627. The earning power gets even better at $56,665 a year for a college graduate!