An Overview of the Process
The Seal of Multilingual Proficiency honors students who demonstrate proficiency in English and at least one additional language.
Who can apply?
- Sophomores, juniors and seniors enrolled in participating high schools
- Check the "Participating High Schools" webpage to see if your high school is registered to participate in the program
The Application Process
- You must have a personal Gmail account to apply for the Seal. If you do not have one, then sign up by clicking on the Gmail logo or links.
- Once you have a Gmail account, go to the "Seal Application" webpage, read the instructions, click on the "Apply NOW" button and fill out the application.
- You will receive an email at your Gmail address from eruiz [ahtsym] stancoe [dhotsym] org (subject: Seal%20of%20Multilingual%20Proficiency) ( Elvira Ruiz) with the your Portfolio ID, Seal ID and instructions to join the student's high school Google Classroom. It is VERY important that you record your ID numbers in a safe place, as every Seal document will require them. Also, join the Google Classroom right away so that you can receive updates and information.
- The deadline to fill out the application is August 30, 2017 at midnight.
The Google Classroom
- Shortly after applying, the student will receive an email from eruiz [ahtsym] stancoe [dhotsym] org (subject: Seal%20of%20Multilingual%20Proficiency) (Elvira Ruiz) with instructions on how to join the Google Classroom.
- Log into the assigned Google Classroom and read through the resources provided in the About section. The resources will provide guidelines for what is expected from the student and the assignments. The same resources can be found on this website on the Resources page.
- Read the instructions for each of the assignments completely and thoroughly before starting the assignment. Failure to follow the instructions may result in disqualification.
- Scores for the each of the LinguaFolio components will be listed in the classroom. The student will need to check the classroom and their email regularly for announcements and to see if they have been invited to the next step.
- The classroom will provide another opportunity to signup for text reminders and notifications through Remind.
Permission to Participate
- Once you have joined the Google Classroom, your first assignment will be to download a permission slip. The permission slip allows you to participate in the program.
- Completely fill out the Student Permission Slip, including both IDs, and have both sections signed and turned in to your site contact by the deadline. You cannot participate in the program without the signed form..
- The deadline to turn in the Student Permission Slip, to the site contact, is September 1, 2017 at 2:00 PM.
Your Seal Portfolio
- Your Seal Portfolio is the evidence of your proficiency in multiple languages. It will be completed over time (see the Major Events, below), and will mostly take place through the Google Classroom. Each component is necessary for you to continue in the process, and minimum scores are needed to obtain the Seal. Further details will be provided in the Google Classroom, but the elements of your Portfolio are: the Application, the On-Demand test, the Autobiography and the interviews in English and the target language(s).
Major Events in the Seal Process
- On-Demand Essay in your target language. Your school will schedule this test sometime between September 12th - 14th during the hours of 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM. You will have sixty minutes to write an essay in each of the target languages for which you are attempting the Seal.
- Essays will be scored in the following weeks, and scores posted in the Google Classroom. You will be notified through the classroom when scores are posted.
- You must earn at least a 3 out of a possible 5 to be invited to the next stage of the Seal process, the Autobiography.
- Autobiography in English. The autobiography is a collections of brief (200 word) essays in response to a series of questions about multilingualism.
- The Autobiography is a process essay, meaning you can write multiple drafts, get feedback, and revise multiple times. You can begin working on the Autobiography as soon as you are granted access to the Google Classroom.
- The deadline for the autobiography is September 29, 2017. Essays will be scored in the following weeks, and scores posted in the Google Classroom. You will be notified through the classroom when scores are posted.
- You must earn at least 3 out of a possible 5 to be invited to the next stage of the Seal process, which is the Student Event.
- The Student Event takes place on October 14, 2017. It is critical that you are available on this date, as no make ups are possible.
- During the Student Event, you will be interviewed at least twice, once in English and once for every target language for which you are attempting the Seal.
- Students must earn a minimum of three out of possible 5 in each of the interviews, and a total of 16 points overall to be eligible to receive the Seal. During the week following the Student Event, you will receive an email detailing your results and whether or not you will receive the Seal.