An Overview of the Process
The State Seal Biliteracy honors students who demonstrate proficiency in English and at least one other language.
Who can apply?
- Seniors enrolled in participating public high schools
- To be eligible, seniors must first meet the guidelines set by the California Department of Education.
- Can students who attend private school qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy?
- No. Private schools function outside the jurisdiction of the California Department of Education (CDE); therefore, they are not eligible to receive the Seal.
- Check the Participating High Schools webpage to see if your high school is registered to participate in the program.
What are the Seal requirements?
- The initial list of state requirements can be found here.
- The complete list of state and county requirements can be found on the Resources page here.
- Download the Application Checklist from the Links & Resources page here.
- Please contact your high school's administration office for your specific guidelines and deadlines.
- Students must turn in the completed two-page Application & Permission Slip.
- Will the entire Seal process happen at the high school?
- No. Students will be prescreened by the high school, then complete the process with the county office.
The Application Process
- Read through the complete set of requirements, the process, and deadlines to make sure you are prepared.
- Check the Participating High Schools webpage to find out if your high school is registered to participate.
- Contact your high school site contact to start the process.
- Follow your site contact's instructions to complete the prescreening process for:
- completion of state requirements,
- completion of the Application & Permission Slip, and
- writing proficiency in English and the target language(s) before progressing to the next phase.
- Students who have successfully navigated the application process, will be invited to the Student Interview Event tentatively scheduled for March 11, 2023.
- The final interview format will be determined by public health guidance as the date approaches.
- Additional information about the Student Interview Event can be found on the FAQ webpage.
Permission to Participate
- Eligible seniors should reach out to the site contact listed on the Participating High Schools webpage for a list of requirements.
- The complete and signed two-page Application & Permission Slip must be turned into the participating high school by 10:00 AM on January 25, 2023.
Major Events in the Seal Process
- Fall 2022—Students should contact their Participating High Schools at the beginning of the school year to ensure deadlines are not missed.
- January 25, 2023—Deadline for students and districts to submit:
- the spreadsheet of prequalified seniors by 3:30 PM,
- the completed and signed student two-page Application & Permission Slip by 10:00 AM, and
- the spreadsheet of assessors for the Student Interview Event by 3:30 PM.
- The Student Interview Event is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, March 11, 2023.
- The final format will be determined by public health guidance as the date approaches.
- Once your interview date and time are determined, it is critical that you are available. Seal deadlines are no different from those of a college application, thus changes or make up dates and times are not possible. All students must meet the same deadlines.
- Students will be interviewed at least twice; once in English and once in each target language the student has applied for.
- Students can find a copy of the scoring requirements here.
- Interview results will be released as quickly as possible to Participating High Schools first.
- You will receive an email with results once the high school has been notified.
- Seal Award Ceremony:
- The possibility of an award night will be determined by public health guidance as the date approaches.
- Framed Seal certificates and diploma seals will be provided by the county.
- Districts are encouraged to recognize students who earn the State Seal within their own districts.
1100 H Street
Instructional Support Services, 1st Floor
Modesto, CA 95354