Expository Reading and Writing Curriculum (ERWC)
This free workshop, conducted by instructors with both college and high school experience, is intended for English teachers as an introduction to the materials contained in the California State University (CSU) 12th Grade Expository Reading and Writing Course and modules written for use in Grades 7-11. Aligned with the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts, the workshop provides teachers with methods, an instructional model, and curriculum to prepare students for the rigor expected in college and emphasizes the in-depth study of expository, analytical, and argumentative reading and writing. These rich, adaptable resources, developed by a collaborative group of CSU and high school faculty and specialists, are designed to help students develop the academic literacy skills necessary for success in college and the world of work. The 12th Grade Expository Reading and Writing Course is designed to be adopted the course as a senior English course, but schools may also choose to integrate portions into existing 12th Grade English courses. The 7-11th grade modules are designed to be integrated into existing curriculum and help bridge the gap to the Common Core Standards’ focus on argumentation and informational text. Teachers attending this workshop will receive:
- Course materials and other professional books
- Lessons for preparing students to meet college-level classes
- Strategies for helping students read and write rhetorically
- An opportunity to calibrate school-level expectations with college-level expectations
The Benefits of ERWC
- New - Certification for teachers to be to be able to use the ERWC course to advance EAP English Placement Test results from “conditional status” to “college-ready.”
- UC Pre-Approved A-G Eligibility Course that schools and districts can adopt to fulfill “B” English requirement and increase rigor.
- Common Core Aligned, research-validated curriculum and instructional model for teaching the new standards with emphasis on expository reading and writing and college and career readiness.
- ERWC Training Includes a series of 14 lesson high interest and current instructional modules of curriculum that build on research-based methodologies for strategically developing student understanding of expository, analytical, and argumentative reading and writing.